Provide an explanation of the issue:
- What is the issue? Why is it important? Why is it of interest to you? (If it’s not of interest, choose a different topic!)
- What has been proposed or attempted to address the problem, and by whom?
- Focus on the issue. (If you identify a specific bill addressing the issue, you can cite and discuss it, but don’t focus only on the bill—focus on the issue).
- Include at least three sources. These do not need to be peer-reviewed journal articles, but they should come from an authoritative source. (Please do not cite Wikipedia, a personal blog or a social media post).
- Don’t worry if you don’t know yet about the policy process—i.e., about the workings of legislation, regulation, or court decisions. That will come later. For now, focus on the issue.